As much as I hate reading for my Approach to Literature class, I do learn to love some of the stories we analyze as a group in there. Today, we went over the "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost and it is by far my favorite for the semester.
The poem is basically about two neighbors who repair a wall that separates their properties. It has physical implications of separation to avoid any troubles with the neighbor. Neighbors might be afraid of plants and pets getting into the neighbors yard So in order to fix this mishap, they set a wall to protect what’s important to them.
As the poem continues in a literal sense, it also holds some emotional significance. The wall is in fact a manifestation of the emotional barricade that separates the neighbors - a representation of how societal groups are unwilling and incapable of living without the constraints of boundaries and walls. When an individual is wounded, the most common action that is almost natural instinct is to put up a barrier to keep the same hurtful event from happening again.
What if instead of mending that wall, Frost is saying, “In order to mend a wall, one must crumble it to pieces.”? Frost is asking us what we’re so afraid of and why do we really put that wall there? It is only a constraint of what we are comfortable with and while it soars high, we (and the people around us) are unable to experience the true layer of our existence.
So with that in mind, I mended that wall between myself and the guy I like . It wasn’t doing me any good if I were just to ignore him. I may be avoiding my problem but it sure wasn’t fixing anything. After talking to a friend back home, I realized that I might as well take initiative because if I don’t, nothing will happen. I talked to him and cleared some things up.
We’re friends now. He says I’m cool and everything but he believes that it’s better if we hang out as friends for now. I gave it a lot of thought this week and I can’t really blame the guy because we barely know each other. I am totally fine going down the friendship path at this point because who knows...maybe it will work.
I put my trust in God. I figured He wouldn’t have wanted me to keep moving on with this form of hate in my heart but to learn how to accept the situation. If He thinks we can work out as more than friends in the end then I will be willing to wait. If He gives me a sign that we are just not meant to be, I will have to accept it because He knows what’s good for me. He will let me know when the time is right and if that person is right for me.
But for now:
Carpe Diem!
^_^

No comments:
Post a Comment